Let's talk about music

Last.fm
When I signed up to Last.fm 6 years ago I never thought that one day I would find it useful or at least something that I can blog about. So, thanks to Last.fm for keeping my music statistics for the past 6 years. Today's blog post is about my kind of music. I'm not so good in explaining about the kind of music that I listen to for the past decade or so. Some of my uni friends find it a bit odd that I can listen to songs from Siti Nurhaliza to punk rock. In attempting to answer myself, I think the reason lies in the fact that I'm not a fanatic of any genre, though I admit that while growing up, especially in my early 20s, I was heavily influenced by punk rock, emo (eg Dashboard Confessional, The Used, Taking Back Sunday, The Early November etc), indie rock (The Strokes, The Hives, The Postal Service and most other "The" bands), post-rock and a little bit of melodic hardcore (e.g. Alexisonfire and Atreyu).

Punk rock bands like Mxpx, Nofx, The Ataris, New Found Glory, Lagwagon and No Use for a Name were some of my early influences in the late 90s and early 2000s before Anti Flag came into becoming one of my favourite bands in later years. Somehow later, I was exposed to bands like Sigur Ros, Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky. And Explosions in the Sky continue to be my all time favourite band today.

Coming back to the chart above, one of the most interesting part is that the top three artists in the list have performed in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. And guess what, the best part is, I've been to all three of their shows in KL! Explosions in the Sky in 2008. Mxpx in 2009, and the latest, Anti Flag in 2012! Talking about great coincidence eh?

Comments

Glenn said…
Music, I love music but not rock music. You know what I mean like noisy music and noisy bands? But I appreciate music when I feel like it. By the way, visit tim jones, Spokane.