Tun Dr Mahathir and UMNO

So the great old Tun Dr. Mahathir has finally resigned. Sigh.. As a big fan of Tun ever since my school days, to read the news about him resigning from UMNO is just too sad. I've always held high respect for him, but I feel, resigning from the party won't solve anything. As much as I don't agree much with Mat Taib, I think he is right when he said that "history not on Mahathir's side..".
“(Founder) Datuk Onn (Jaafar) left to start Parti Negara but the Malays stayed (with Umno). Tunku Abdul Rahman, (and) Tun Hussein (Onn) were not in Umno when they died."

Tun's resignation will only benefit the opposition, especially Anwar Ibrahim. My only worry is the consequences of Tun's resignation to the grassroots leaders and members. I honestly don't see any benefit to UMNO when some division members in Kedah decided to quit UMNO, as it will only weaken the party if they believe in party reform, especially after the disastrous General Election results on 8 March 2008. Whatever people say about Tun, one cannot deny that he is very much influential in UMNO and Malaysian politics. People still go to him to seek his views on political issues or anything else that matters to the nation. Though I don't agree with Tun Dr. Mahathir's decision to quit, I feel that Musa Hitam's argument on Tun, saying that "The thorn in the flesh has been removed.." is just plain stupid and ignorant. Tun will definitely continue to be more vocal in pressuring Pak Lah to step down and it just boggles me if Musa Hitam were to suggest that everything will be alright after Tun resigns.

Oh well, let's just wait and see what's the next course of action will be..

Edited --- Tun Dr. Mahathir has fired back at both Musa Hitam and Shahrir Samad on their recent remarks at his blog (chedet.com).

Comments